Monday, January 14, 2013

Shells and Wine

I had a little time with myself tonight and decided to go through photo's from our recent holiday to Batemans Bay. 

I had forgotten about my little test with my extension tubes and shells collected by my 4 year old. Whilst sitting out the back of our cabin, sampling a few wines, I decided to take some close up images of the shells. 
The difficulty with extension tubes is that when attempting to obtain close ups, the depth of field is very limited. Slight movement can cause the image to be quite out of focus. 

The first eight shots are those taken in a bay area near the cabin, where the black sand leant itself to good black/white photography. The remainder are the wine / photography mix. These were the best that I found in the grouping, the others I just couldn't bring myself to post...and I blame the quality of those ones to the extension tubes limitations...not the wine ;)

















This shell was no bigger than half a small finger nail.



This odd shell as shown in the above and below images had quite a wooden texture to the external body of it.



I quite like this one. This is a small shell inside the crevice of a small conical shell.


This snail-like shell was approximately the size of a ten cent piece, and the colouring quite interesting.






Yes, it looks like a bizarre face....















This is a piece of coral and with tiny grains of sand.




The image below is the different angle of the one above.















2 comments:

  1. Shells are amazing hey Richard, I collect shells too. Great blog entry and photos mate.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice detail - the lens is great, you could create some great abstract art with these

    ReplyDelete