Friday, April 20, 2012

Macro Photography with Extension Tubes

I recently purchased from Ebay a set of extension tubes for my Canon.
Those not familiar with extension tubes, they are an aluminium tube, normally in sets of 3, which sit between the body and lens of the camera.
Extension Tubes


The use of these tubes provides a less expensive way to experience macro photography.

Though I am still getting a hang of it, I did locate a wealth of information online on their use.

As you apply each extension, the ability to go closer to the subject matter increases.

A quick walk around the backyard of my home, I snapped the following shots but, to put the use of the tubes into perspective, the first image is what can be achieved with the normal 18-55mm lens for macro photography.



The following are the same flower with the tubes attached:-





The following pics are of other subjects in the backyard:-

Ant in Rosemary Flower

Dead Wasp

Dandelion Flower



What I found was that with Canon 400D SLR, I selected AV for shoot setting, then manual adjusted the F-stop to +2. Adjusting into the minus selection created longer exposure times, and with the potential shake from close up photography, increases the room for error.

I look forward to posting more images using this technique shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment